7.11.2016

Extended Stay in Esteli Part 1

Well so much for the paradise of dirt floors and no running water or electricity on a farm.  Within hours of booking the trip the boys fell ill with fevers and heavy 12 hour all day sleeping under a pile of blankets.  At first Maya and I were going to leave the sick ones at the hotel and go it on our own.  The plan sounded good for a minute but thinking it through it just didn't feel good to leave them behind and go off to a rural and isolated area where we wouldn't be able to communicate with them.  That left me and Maya to explore the town over the past few days on our own.  We didn't find much to do really because by Saturday afternoon and most of Sunday just about everything is closed.  There was a fun street fair with various live music and dancing and good food so that provided some distraction.

We did try whatever cafes looked good and had some excellent batidos (basically a smoothie) and cappuccinos.
We did a lot of people watching in the central park which is packed with families and budding romances.  It's the place to see and be seen and is the social hub of the town.  This is pretty much the thing in every Latin American city we have been in, no matter the size of the town there is a Central Park where everyone goes to hang out, it's very social.  Although now many people have their faces in their phones just like at home.

Our hotel, Los Arcos, is a little pricey for what we are used to but I honestly thought we were just touching down for one night and I wanted a quiet, clean, secure place that wasn't crawling with backpackers or sandwiched between loud bars. The place is defiantly serving its purpose as a good place to rest while sick and recover. Now we are here for 4 nights....

There are excellent views from the roof top deck area.
Sitting up there on Sunday I could hear some really nice music coming from a church, so I walked over to check it out.  I decided to go in and was very warmly greeted by similarly dressed attendant/usher/greeters who sincerely welcomed me with handshakes and smiles.  The only churches I go into on travels tend to be Catholic Churches, mostly to look around because they are very beautiful and old, but no one ever looks at me, smiles, or acknowledges me in any way.  Not that I am expecting anything.  So I was offered a seat and took it and was introduced to the minister and his son who spoke English and told me all about his Evangelical Gospel congregation of 1200.  The music that attracted me was played by a rock band, and I could see that I was in the Nicaraguan version of Port City Community Church.  Swaying, hand waving, some tambourines, and general blissed out rapture of a hip, well dressed, young crowd.  It was definitely  the church for the popular kids.  But something about it just moved me, witnessing others being so moved by their faith is beautiful to observe no matter the religion.  

Tomorrow is Monday and with it the promise of businesses being open and some tours available.  This is a cool little town to be stuck in!


1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear Luis and Jack have been sick! Hope they are on the mend. Nice description of your church venture and the others in the little town. Hope you are able to all enjoy the rest of the trip without incident!
    p.s. Your garden is doing fine. :-)

    ReplyDelete